So, how was it for you?

2014 that is. I know it hasn't quite finished, but the year is slowing down, wheezing a bit and will soon come to a halt. More than a handful of birders that I know have already moth-balled their optics.

It has been an odd year for me. I dispensed with full-time employment last December but have most probably done even less birding/mothing/planting than ever before. I did get out there, but it was in fits and starts. A fortnight at Dungeness in mid-May was as hardcore as it got. And then, when autumn was upon us, I took on an eight-week contract and entered the world of the employed once again - bad timing as far as the birding went.

What did I see this year? It had its moments. Those two weeks at Dungeness produced a Great Reed Warbler, a Bee-eater, a Montagu's Harrier and two Black-winged Stilts; locally a Merlin and 2 Spoonbills; moths were not a great success, with my continued failure with pheromone lures causing frustration; plants took a back seat although I finally tracked Bastard Toadflax down on Walton Downs - it's not a species I've seen often in Surrey.

My pan-listing efforts were half-hearted. I lost a bit of oomph as far as this was concerned. I will still maintain the list and try and identify things if the interest takes me, but as for following lichenologists and bryologists around, writing down a list of latin names to tick off later - that can 'go whistle' as far as I'm concerned. Pan-listing tourism is not my thing.

The blogging has given me a lot of pleasure, if only as an outlet for my 'writing'. It's good to have an outlet, I find...  This is post number 215, and although I wouldn't be so shallow as to try and beat last year's 223 posts, I should imagine that, barring flood and disease, that total will be passed. People seem to carry on visiting the blog, which is humbling, but even if nobody was bothering I would carry on. It's cheap therapy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"