Let the clearwing season begin!

Any long-suffering and regular visitor to this blog will most probably be aware of my poor track record with pheromone lures. So far, in two years of trying, I have only managed to entice Six-belted Clearwing. I have questioned my timing, the weather and the lures themselves, but have been stopped from throwing them away in a fit of pique by other lepidopterists, who have also admitted to finding the success rate as being a bit hit-and-miss (we will ignore those clever-clogs who seem to haul in hundreds of the bloody things just by thinking about hanging a lure up).

This morning was relatively warm, the cloud was parting to allow the sun to peak through from time to time and a gentle breeze came from the south-west. It might be early in the clearwing season, but the odd one has been reported, so I threw caution to the wind and headed over to the Carshalton area of northern Surrey, where I knew of two nailed-on sites. I was joined by the man on-the-spot, Derek Coleman.


Carshalton Park was our first stop, where a number of very old Sweet Chestnuts play host to Yellow-legged Clearwing. We tried several trees over a couple of hours, but nothing came. Maybe a bit early? Maybe my jinx was continuing into 2015? The trees here are incredible specimens, gnarled and twisted into shapes not seen outside of Tolkien novels. I will return later in the year.


Our next stop was a small wetland reserve nearby. The FOR lure was hung up more in hope than expectation, but as often happens when you aren't really trying, everything came together - within 10 minutes, at least one (and possibly two) Red-tipped Clearwings flew in to have a look. I actually netted one, but it escaped before I could pot it up, hence no pictures. A good start to the clearwing season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"