Green stuff

Just to prove that I don't only have eyes for chunky finches, these plants grabbed my attention while I was out and about yesterday. Don't worry - normal Hawfinch service will be resumed very soon!
Hart's-tongue. A common enough fern, but to see it in such profusion is an arresting sight. This was just a small area that the species was blanketing on a dank slope above Betchworth Quarry. I also learnt that this is a different place to Brockham Quarry - until now I believed the whole complex to be under the former name.
Cornelian-cherry, an introduced tree that is found sparingly across northern Surrey. This specimen (at the base of Box Hill) is being choked by Ivy. Flower detail (below)

Comments

Derek Faulkner said…
A refreshing change of subject matter Steve, however, is there a reason why the print was so small that I almost needed binoculars to read it.
Steve Gale said…
That is the standard caption font Derek.
Ric said…
I was never a botanist Steve, but I'm starting to get a grip on a few plants thanks to you.
Steve Gale said…
That's good to hear Ric - a brilliant side-line to the birding.

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"