Two pulses

A mad half-hour in the skies above the back garden here in Surrey. At 11.45hrs I happened to glance out of a window and saw a handful of hirundines in view. I grabbed the binoculars and walked out to the stirring sight of an enormous flock of House Martins, slowly making their way south-eastwards. They were widely scattered and numbered at least 700 birds. The morning had been very wet, with pulses of heavy rain driven by a blustery south-westerly wind, and this flock was passing through on such a pulse. I kept my eyes to the skies and was rewarded half-an-hour later by another 250 House Martins, heading on a more south-westerly bearing - this was also during another burst of heavy rain. Over the following three hours, and with a gradual improvement in the weather, the hirundine stream didn’t stop, but certainly was not as spectacular. A total of 1175 was the final total.

There does seem to be a clear line of movement across my immediate local area. Between our house and Nork Park, maybe half a mile away to the south, is an east-west dip. This dip acted as a flight line with many of the hirundines today, and certainly has done in the past with autumn thrushes and finches. It is a flight-line that I successfully watched last October/November and intend to do so again  in the coming weeks.

My only regret is that I wasn’t looking out of the window earlier, although I was outside between 08.00 - 08.30hrs and nothing appeared to be moving then.

Comments

Gone for such a long time from here

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"