The circle


The central blue dot is home, and the white outer circle shows 5km distance. Within it lies a number of my regular haunts. The question is, how many species can I record here in a year, purely on foot - starting from tomorrow?

Another half-thought-out crackpot project, but something that I can do in-between other things. Why do it? Well, firstly, for my own entertainment. But also as an illustration as to what can be found close to home - any home. Granted, it isn't in the middle of a city, but one look at that map reveals an awful lot of building. What lurks between?

Most effort will be placed on birds, butterflies, moths and plants, although I will keep an eye out for other life-forms, if they grab my attention. I don't have a target in mind although I'd be disappointed if 1,000 species isn't reached. 1,500?

I doubt it, but let's find out.

Comments

Skev said…
Remember the inaugural 2013 '1000 in 1km square' challenge? If I can find 1138 species in a calendar year in my habitat-poor home square, you could be blasting 3000+ sp. in the 10km diameter circle from your home with a proper intensive effort! But I reckon you'd be better restricting your area to a smaller square, even if that feels like your 'culling' habitat. You'd be even more surprised at your total then.
Steve Gale said…
I thought smaller Skev, but it didn’t take in places that I really wanted to include for emotional reasons.
Gibster said…
Can't believe you haven't labelled Epsom Common ;) Marsh Frog is in Baron's Pond (Wilmerhatch Lane) which may be the only site for it in your Circle. The amount of different habitats/geologies in that area I'd be surprised if you don't top 1K without even touching a microscope. You DO have a microscope..?
Steve Gale said…
No Seth, I don’t. Good hand lens though...
Epsom Common only appears a little bit. No Stew Ponds.k

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"