An ex-Kittiwake



I started the morning at Canons Farm, but it was hard work. David and I were distracted by a phone call from Gordon Hay, who had been experiencing a far better time than us over at Holmethorpe, what with him having seen Little Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Redshank and LRP. However, being slaves to the patch we soldiered on. After I parted company with David I roamed more empty fields and found myself back at the car...

Before I knew it I was pulling up at Holmethorpe where, after meeting up with Gordon and Ian Kehl, I was soon scoping an adult winter plumaged Little Gull that was feeding over the surface of Mercer's Lake. Both of my fellow birders then had homes to go to, so I strode out to check the gulls that were following a tractor ploughing the fields on Mercer's Farm. Gordon had earlier seen an adult Mediterranean Gull here, so I was pleased to confirm that it was still present. I later saw it on Spyne's Mere.

I ended up at the Watercolours Lagoon, momentarily entertained by a White Wagtail until I spied a dead gull on the shoreline. A look through the binoculars suggested that it was a Kittiwake, which I confirmed shortly afterwards - a freshly dead adult winter bird. This echoes the demise of a Kittiwake last weekend at Tice's Meadow, also in Surrey. All quite sad but exciting at the same time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood

To tell it like it is, or not...