The forgotten bird

Twenty years ago this autumn I saw one of the rarest species on my British list. Far rarer than the Wallcreepers that I always bang on about. And yet this species seems to have faded from my memory bank, never brought out to parade before the birding youth that I meet from time to time. It was a startlingly good looking bird. What was it? A male Red-throated Thrush. You can see an image of the very same bird here. Not bad, is it? So why has this particular bird dropped off of my radar? No idea.

*If you click through to the image, it is dated September 1993. It was, in fact, 1994.

Comments

Gibster said…
Was a thoroughly amazing bird, as I recall...initially gave us the run-around behind some houses, then in a field, then behind more houses. Eventually caught up with it in a tree after a frantic couple of hour's panic. Later we had it on the undercliff where it showed superbly. Only downer of the day was meeting a fella who reckoned he'd had a female Sardinian Warbler in the scrub which never reappeared. The Red-throated Thrush was SO much more satisfying than the Naumann's which I twitched via train as a schoolboy lout. Somewhere I have photo's of each, bought on subsequent twitches as was the norm back in them thar days :)
Steve Gale said…
Sounds like we went on the same day - a Saturday. Also saw a Barred Warbler just up the road!

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"