A bit of a failure


The photograph above was taken this morning from the Thames tow-path at Ham in Surrey. It is looking north towards Richmond Hill, a place that my wife would like to move to. The one big flaw in her plan is our lack of the £3-5 million needed to secure even the most modest of houses looking down on the river...

My visit was botanically-themed, and I was keen to take myself out of my comfort zone and try to identify what I could on the river's edge, footpaths and nearby meadows. It had its moments, mostly courtesy of a few naturalised species. I was, however, disappointed with the time spent on Ham Lands, a sizeable grassy reserve to which I had access to a species list whose highlights I largely failed to find. It didn't help that I stumbled into a 'gay meeting place' and quickly left what looked like a promising (for plants!) area. I'm not in the least bit homophobic but do find these areas unnerving to be in, especially when 'loitering with intent' in the study of natural history.  I need to return after having done a bit more homework.

Comments

Derek Faulkner said…
Your sense of adventure let you down there Steve.
Steve Gale said…
You first Derek...
Dave Boyle said…
That area you stumbled in to is a really good site for White-letter Hairstreak, it is a very unnerving spot to hang around! & if you ever go back don't do what I did & sneak quietly down a little track that disappears in to the bushes, some things you can't unsee!
Steve Gale said…
Dave, had I known of its reputation I would never have 'loitered with botanical intent!'

Popular posts from this blog

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood

To tell it like it is, or not...