County plant lists

I don't know why it has taken me until now, but I have never before assembled personal county plant lists. 90% of time spent botanising has been in my home county of Surrey, with most of the remaining 10% being in Kent and Sussex (with Dorset and Hampshire deserving an honourable mention). I have just completed the Surrey list (below), which has had the affect of inspiring me to seek out a few of the many glaring omissions! I still need to add precise data for the first date of recording to some species, but that can wait. It is also enjoyable going through old notebooks to check such mundane things as to whether or not I have seen Lesser Swine-cress in Dorset. I have hours more fun ahead of me to get the other county lists under way. Above is another one of those naturalised species - Californian Poppy at Priest Hill - used here as an excuse to pretty up an otherwise monochrome post and act as a red rag to those who believe such species to be a blight on our landscape. Me? I love 'em!

A species personally seen in the county it is highlighted in yellow. Other species that I've seen in the UK appear in both their common and binomial forms, all the rest are future challenges. The indication of an R, RR or RRR follows Stace's rarity categorisation.


Derek Faulkner said…
I love it when I come across an unexpected and naturalised species, surely at least some of the species that we consider part of our natural flora have arrived by that method over the centuries. I have even been guilty of introducing the odd one myself.
Steve Gale said…
You are right Derek - many of our much loved and rare arable flora came in as seed contaminant centuries ago.

Popular posts from this blog


Where once were terns