Starter's orders

The 'starter's orders' have been issued and we are OFF! The birth of 2019 has seen a flurry of activity across the country, from the swivel-eyed day listers to the sedate birder who, after a lie-in and leisurely breakfast, ambled out into the field to casually look through binoculars to see what was on offer.

I was up and out pre first light and visited the River Hogsmill at Ewell (more of a stream), walking along the meandering banks between Bourne Hall and Ewell Court. It was, as ever, rewarding, with singles of Little Egret, Water Rail, Kingfisher, Red Kite and two Grey Wagtails. I was back home by 10.30hrs as the girls and I had decided to have a New Year Day walk along the beach at East Preston in West Sussex. It was remarkably mild. I did take my optics along, but there seemed to be little on show.

2019 eh? And now there are 364 days left. Is it too early to do a 'round-up of the year'?...

Comments

dmcjournal said…
Is it too early to do a 'round-up of the year'?...

I'd be tempted to say go for it and be the first but you might just be pushing the boundary a step too far, how about waiting until the end of the week?
Steve Gale said…
Great thinking Dave - end of the week it is!

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"