Shine


The early birder certainly does catch the worm Glaucous Gull. The second-winter beast that has been feeding/loafing during the day at the Beddington Landfill Cafe has decided to take up overnight lodgings on Mercer's Lake at Holmethorpe. It was reported coming into roost yesterday afternoon so I knew that an early arrival should secure the bird - it was, after all, a species that I had not seen before at Holmethorpe.

I arrived in darkness, but still set up the scope and scanned the blackness - there were gulls already flying overhead and much calling from the water - and even in what could at best be described as pre-light, the gulls were shining out as they bobbed about on the lake surface. One bird shone out far more than the others - the Glaucous Gull (pictured above). I'm sure you can all tell which bird it is...

The gull roost was quite spectacular, with 2,500 Herring and 1,500 Black-headed making up 99% of the larids on show. The birds were leaving very quickly, with the star turn deciding to take flight at 07.40hrs - no doubt Beddington-bound. Later on in the day up to 1,000 mixed gulls were loafing about on Watercolours and after much scoping was pleased to find a classic first-winter Yellow-legged. Try as I might, no Caspian was forthcoming.

Another great avian spectacle came courtesy of at least 1,500 raucous apple-green Ring-necked Parakeets, as they left their roost at Spynes Mere. The gull and parakeet biomass made up most of what was on show - poor numbers of wildfowl, finches and thrushes were seen. A flock of 66 Lapwing came in mid-morning, possibly indicative of the cold weather further north and east?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"