Round two


We come to the end of February, two months into the 2019 Surrey v Northumberland patch challenge. Although hard work, the month has seen some rewarding birding, with the following species new for the year: Black-throated Diver (Holmethorpe), Jack Snipe (Holmethorpe), Treecreeper, Hawfinch (Headley Heath, Juniper Top, Juniper Bottom), Peregrine, Lesser Redpoll, Goshawk (undisclosed), Common Crossbill (Ranmore Common), Firecrest (Ranmore Common).

The Black-throated Diver (above) was the biggest surprise, only my second record for the Uber-patch. From a personal point of view it was fantastic to once again see Hawfinches in the same areas over which they swarmed last winter. So, the scores-on-the-doors are:

Uber patch Jan-Feb total: 101 species (47.41% of personal historic total)
Mini über patch Jan-Feb total: 72 species (55.38% of personal historic total)

I'm sure that my virtual friend Stewart will respond with a fine selection of his own from the month. This is no sprint, but an ornithological marathon. I've more or less mopped up the 'expected' species (bar the summer migrants) so I really will have to put in the extra hours to jam in on the unexpected.

Comments

Stewart said…
Unfortunately I cant match those ornithological delights Steve. Some great birds there. Although Gos is a widespread bird in Northumberland I've never had a coastal one let alone one on the patch. Jack Snipe has only 2 records in 10 years and Hawfinch only 1. I'll need to keep my powder dry for the long haul...
Steve Gale said…
I'm expecting a northern onslaught in the autumn Stewart, by which time my powder will no doubt be damp!

Popular posts from this blog

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood

To tell it like it is, or not...