On your marks...


Next year will see a laid-back attempt to hit the following targets across the uber-patch (above):

Birds
(140 species); Plants (700 species); Moths (500 species); Butterflies (38 species) and Dragonflies (18 species). I will also keep a record of how many footsteps I take in the search of them all - the aim is of completing 1,000,000, although seeing that my total so far this year is now over four million that shouldn't be a challenge.

As much as failure in any category will elicit no more than a shrug from me, I will give each one a go and hope that in the effort to do so the local patches will carry on revealing something of themselves to me. Each and every year produces surprises, as no year is the same as any other. The bird total is going to be the biggest challenge, but it is always good to have an aim that will stretch oneself. As for the moths and plants, the need to attempt identifications across difficult groups and families can only be educational. I'm already champing at the bit to get going.

Comments

Gordon Hay said…
Just wondering how many pubs will be left in your Uber Patch?
Another challenge on the quiet days!
Steve Gale said…
Well Gordon, when they can open again maybe you will join me to see just how many have survived. First pint on me.
Gibster said…
SEVEN HUNDRED plants? Flippin' 'eck surely that's pushing it? I guess you've done your homework rather than simply pull a number out the ether, but that still seems very high. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on buddy - across the board I mean, not just plants.
Steve Gale said…
Now you mention it Seth, 700 does seem to be a bit high, but I recollect there being some method in reaching that figure.
Unknown said…
Steve, you have over the year convinced me to look under my nose at what the local fauna and to some extent flora is about. I am in a area that quite blessed with wild life opportunities....so 2021 will be focussed on that.

Take care all
Davep
Steve Gale said…
You’re in Shoreham aren’t you Dave? You will be royally rewarded. Please keep us informed as to how it’s progressing!
Stewart said…
Well done Steve, I will be watching for inspiration, especially the plants...

Popular posts from this blog

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood

To tell it like it is, or not...