1,000 species challenge

A foolhardy tweet or a timely kick up the backside?


As any regular visitor to this blog will testify, I’ve announced that I’m going to take on the micro-moths several times and fallen spectacularly short. I’ve dabbled, but cannot seriously claim to have put any effort in. But now I mean business (at least until 19.00hrs this evening...)

My suggestion of buying a new net was quickly followed up by ordering two books - Ben Smart’s ‘Micro Moth Field Tips’ and Langmaid, Palmer and Young’s ‘A Field Guide to the Smaller Moths of GB and Ireland’. Together with my existent library of the Harley Books ‘Moths and Butterflies Handbook’; The Surrey Wildlife Trust’s ‘The Smaller Moths of Surrey’; Manley’s second edition, Sterling, Parsons and Lewington’s ‘Field Guide to the Micro moths’ plus various other papers (and a DVD of the Ray Society’s Tortrix publication) I reckon I should be prepared to, at the very least, give it a good go.

I’m already gearing up to a year of bush bashing, leaf mine examining, nectaring and light trapping. It would also be good if some of those Latin names stick in my brain. The macro lens has been cleaned, the Raynox extension buffed up, and all systems are go. Bring on the micros!

Plutella xylostella, one of the easier ones...

Comments

Gavin Haig said…
You have my admiration Steve. I struggle to keep up, and I'm just doing birds...
martinf said…
Good to see. Shall follow with interest :)
Steve Gale said…
Gav, it makes me a jack of all trades and a master of none...

Thanks Martin, plenty of learning coming up!
Gibster said…
Looking forward to this Steve! Check out the handsome chap in green t-shirt in the group pic halfway through your Smaller Moths of Surrey. Arrrm thems wuz the dayz :)
Skev said…
I also hope to give out of county moths a go this year ... 39 to go to 1200, but I'm the other way on the split (640 micros/521 macros).
Steve Gale said…
Gibster: funnily enough, I was looking at that very photo this morning.

Skev: race you too 1250!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood